Saturday, September 14, 2013

Fiesta Burger Skillet


Today's recipe comes from The Girl Who Ate Everything. She has a spectacular blog that I personally love to crawl through when I'm having a bad day. Her recipe for Bunless Fiesta Hamburgers sounds amazing! But at the same time, very filling, and when she says good lord, she means good lord! I mean seriously, hamburgers as buns? Mr. H may be borderline body builder, but no one needs THAT much protein! So I decided to scale it down a bit. All the ingredients together sounded delicious to me, so I kept with her ingredients to a tee, but as I'm usually feeding an apartment full of boys, I decided the best way to feed everyone was a skillet. Now, this recipe has absolutely no carbs in it which means it won't stretch very far to feed all of us, and keeping with my quest to always have some sort of family recipe involved, I decided to try to mix this with Ranch Style Hash and put it over rice. Let's see how it turned out!

Oh my gosh you guys. One bite and I was in HEAVEN! My decision to put this over rice? Fantastic. I couldn't have asked for a better starch to put this over. I contemplated mashed potatoes, but I decided that rice adds a little more to the fiesta. You could try this over brown or yellow rice, but I think white rice with a hint of lime is perfect!
Grab all of your ingredients and let's get started! The first thing you want to do is start your rice. I'm using my wonderful new rice cooker that my mom got me as a housewarming present :) It's cute and tiny and quite honestly pretty perfect for cooking for 2. Once your rice is cooking, start browning your ground beef.
When you've started your ground beef, dice up your avocado. If you're not familiar with how to cut up an avocado, I assure you it's nothing short of simple! Take a knife and cut your avocado in half, all the way around. If it's ripe, the two halves should pull apart very easily. Whack your knife into the pit as hard as you can, just be careful not to miss and hit your fingers! If you've lodged your knife in there well enough, you can pull your knife out and the pit will come right with it. Once the pit is out, slice horizontal lines in each half, then slice vertically to create a grid. Run your finger along the inside edge to pop out each cube. Grate some sea salt into the bowl of pieces and mix it around to coat each slice evenly with salt.
Once you've drained the ground  beef, drop in your salsa, avocado, corn, and shredded cheese, then toss it together. And you're done! Drop this over rice and you have a meal ready in minutes. I topped mine with a bit more salsa and cheese, and it was the best thing I could have asked for!
I hope you guys enjoy this dish as much as I do!

Ingredients:
1 lb ground beef
2 tbsp stead seasoning
1 avocado (diced)
1 small can sweet corn
1/2 - 1 cup salsa
1 cup shredded cheese
2 cups rice

1.) Make your rice as prefered (I used my lovely rice cooker my mother bought me as a house warming present :) Thanks mom!)
2.) Brown your ground beef in a tall sided skillet, and drain; put back on medium heat.
4.) Add diced avocados, salsa, and shredded cheese.
5.) Spoon mixture over rice, add extra cheese or salsa if desired. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...