Thursday, April 3, 2014

Homemade Greek Pita Bread


Doesn't that look delicious? I assure you it was every bit as chewy and tasty as this picture makes it look. I didn't have it in a very traditional way, but if ever I had a sudden hankering for pita, this is the recipe I'm going to from now on! It's so quick and easy, it tastes like you spent hours over it!




So Saturday morning rolled along and suddenly I realized, "I have the day off!" I haven't had a Saturday off in ages so this was definitely a surprise for me. And then I started thinking, "What am I going to do for dinner?" And so I was stumped for several hours (as per the usual haha). We had a very interesting dinner Saturday night but goodness was this part good! The longest part was waiting for the dough to rise, and in that time I cleaned the entire apartment so it was a good wait! Are you ready to dive in?

First thing's first, make your dough, and let it rise for an hour. Once it's completely risen, plop it out onto a floured board.

Then, cut your dough into 6 equal parts, and shape them into smooth balls.
Smooth-ish, if you will
Then roll out each dough ball into a disc about 1/4" thick. You can roll them out thinner if you like thinner pita, but I like thick fluffy pita. I rolled them a bit thinner than I was expecting so I didn't quite get what I wanted, but they turned out to be perfect for what I was using them for :) Place the disc into a preheated pan with a little bit of oil for frying.


The discs will puff up in spots and have bubbles in them. This is totally normal, and totally what you want, just let it puff up!
Now flip!

Once you're done, repeat the process with each of the dough balls
And that my friends, is as easy as it gets! And with 180 calories per pita, what's not to love?

Ingredients:

2 cups + 3 T flour
1 cup hot water
2 t yeast
1 t sugar
2 t salt
1 T olive oil

1.) In mixing bowl, toss together water and yeast. Once the yeast has dissolved, add in the sugar and mix on medium.
2.) Add in the oil and combine salt and flour in separate bowl. Slowly add the flour mixture to the yeast mixture.
3.) Once the dough forms, continue kneading for another 8 minutes on medium.
4.) Once done, remove dough from bowl, coat bowl lightly with oil, then place dough back in bowl and cover with plastic wrap to let rise for 1 hour.
5.) Divide dough into 6 balls, and roll out dough to 1/4" disc.
6.) Place each disc on frying pan on medium-high heat, and heat on both sides until brown and bubbly/puffy, then flip. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...