Thursday, November 14, 2013

Rice Pudding


Today's post comes to you from my sweet tooth. After making more of that amazing chicken and potato curry, we had a LOT of leftover rice! And I absolutely hate reheating rice. It's probably because I just don't know how to do it well, but it always turns out hard and crunchy and gross! So either I try to make only the amount of rice I need, or I end up throwing it out! What a shame, right? So I did some research, and wouldn't you know it, with a little tweaking, I found the most amazing leftover rice pudding I've ever come across!



As you can see, I had QUITE a bit of leftover rice! What to do with all of this white fluffy goodness? Turn it into MORE white fluffy (cinnamony) goodness! So I found this recipe, and went at it! My goodness it turned out amazing. Let's get started!
So the first thing I did to save time later is separate my eggs, because it's kinda messy.
Then put your sugar, flour, salt, and milk in a pot, and let it boil for 2-3 minutes.
Once it's been boiling for 2-3 minutes, add some of the mixture to your bowl (or in my case mug) full of egg yolks. This step is an absolute must! If you skip this step, you run the risk of cooking your eggs the second you drop them into your pudding mixture. By tempering the egg yolks, you bring the yolk temperature closer to that of the pudding so it's less of a shock and it doesn't flash cook it.
Add back your egg mixture and all of your rice. then stir it all up!
Mr. H likes his rice pudding very cinnamon-y! When I asked him how much cinnamon he wanted, he replied, "I want it brown." Brown it was!
Friends, this was absolutely delicious. It was a very large batch, and it didn't make it past the next morning. It was too good to keep lying around the house! I hope you guys enjoyed this one as much as Mr. H and I did. See you next week!

Ingredients:
2 cup leftover rice
1.5 cup sugar
2/3 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt
4 cups milk
6 egg yolks
Vanilla extract to taste

1.) Place sugar, flour, salt, and milk in a pot. Stir on medium heat until mixture starts to boil. Boil and stir for 2-3 minutes
2.) Remove from heat and place 1/2 cup of hot mixture into egg yolks and mix. Pour egg yolks and rice into pudding mixture and place back on the stove.
3.) Continue to cook for 2-3 minutes. Stir constantly so nothing becomes lumpy and sticks to the bottom of the pan.
4.) Remove from heat and add the vanilla extract, mix well. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...